New Mexico Arts Commission
The New Mexico Arts Commission is the advisory body for New Mexico Arts, a division of the Department of Cultural Affairs. The Commission has 15 members appointed by the governor. Commissioners serve three-year terms.
The mission of the Arts Commission, in conjunction with New Mexico Arts, is to stimulate opportunities for artists, arts organizations, and other groups for activities or projects to provide artistic or cultural services to the state, to maintain and encourage artistic excellence, and to promote awareness of and access to the arts for all of the people of New Mexico.
- Advises the New Mexico Arts Director, Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA), and state government in general, including the Governor.
- Advises the Division Director on all division policies, after receiving information requisite to such advice.
- Is consulted regarding disbursement of program funds.
- Is kept informed regarding the financial affairs of the division.
- Consults with the Division Director prior to the Director approving, disapproving, or modifying the distribution of grant funds.
- Works as a team with the Division Director to accomplish the mission of New Mexico Arts.
- Advocates for New Mexico Arts to home communities, DCA, and New Mexico government in general.
- Responsible for being knowledgeable about laws governing the commission, by-laws of the commission, and commission policies.
- Responsible for approval or rejection of applications for designation of Arts and Cultural Districts.
The Arts Commission holds quarterly meetings, usually in January, February/March, May/June, and November. A Planning and Budget Committee meeting is held in May to review grant funding. Meetings are open to the public.
New Mexico Arts Commission Calendar
- Thu, Feb 17, 2022 - Regular Meeting, 9:30am - Zoom
- Thu, May 12, 2022 - Planning and Budget Committee Meeting, 1:00pm - Zoom
- Thu, June 2, 2022 - Regular Meeting, 9:30am - location TBD
- Thu, August 18, 2022 - Regular Meeting, 9:30am - location TBD
- Thu, Nov 17, 2022 - Annual Meeting, 9:30am - location TBD