Music Commission Job Announcement
New Mexico Arts, a division of the NM Department of Cultural Affairs, seeks: part-time, temporary, executive secretary/administrative assistant for the Music Commission. This part-time temporary—20 hours per week for six months with possible extension—T-180 position is needed to serve as Music Commission's executive secretary and administrative assistant, with key responsibilities of scheduling and coordinating commission meetings and special events, such as Art2Art and the commission's involvement with DCA's Cultural Collaborative Project. The advisory, Governor-appointed Music Commission meets about six times a year and is administratively attached to New Mexico Arts. This position will help insure that the Music Commission is able to fulfil its statutory responsibilities to promote New Mexico music and musicians.
CLOSING DATE: Oct. 17, 2014
POSITION TITLE: Executive Secretary/Administrative Assistant for the Music Commission
LOCATION: Santa Fe
WORK SCHEDULE: 20 hours per week
QUALIFICATIONS: Requires excellent management, interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written; marketing skills; as well as experience in grant-writing. Must have ability to manage multiple projects, meet tight deadlines, and stay professional, focused, and on purpose under pressure, including working with musicians and other strong and diverse personalities. Music background a plus.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings of the Music Commission, including arranging public meetings spaces, as well as taking accurate minutes. Coordinate Music Commission special events, such as Art2Art and DCA's Cultural Collaborative Project. 40%
- Must be able to coordinate with Music Commissioners, Music Commission Foundation, New Mexico Arts staff, DCA, and the public, as well as work closely with musicians and other strong personalities.
- Need to be able to meet tight deadlines with calm professionalism
- Write and submit grant proposals to possible event funders and handle reporting requirements; and solicit and obtain in-kind donations for special events.
- Manage, oversee and troubleshoot the logistics, media, public relations, of Music Commission meetings and special events, including securing public meeting spaces for commission meetings.
- Take accurate minutes of Music Commission meetings to insure fulfilment of open meetings requirements.
- Coordinate Music Commission media and communications, including writing news releases to publicize Commission meetings and other Commission activities 40%
- Serve as Music Commission PIO (Public Information Officer).
- Write and issue news releases on behalf of Music Commission to publicize upcoming Commission meetings and special events.
- Insure timely information is disseminated to tell Music Commission’s stories.
- Oversee updates of Music Commission Web site, and write and provide content for Web site; work with DCA webmaster to insure best content and vehicles to promote Music Commission.
- Utilize social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc., to inform constituents and the public about Music Commission meetings, activities and programs.
- Coordinate Music Commission participation in annual Culture Day at State Capitol during legislative session.
- Other duties as assigned, including participating in annual strategic planning efforts for Music Commission, New Mexico Arts and DCA 20%
HOW TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume detailing work experience and education, with contact information (telephone numbers and email address) by Friday, Oct. 17, 2014, to:
- Linda Underwood
- Operations Director
- New Mexico Arts
- Bataan Memorial Building
- 407 Galisteo Street, Suite 270
- Santa Fe, NM 87501
- (505) 827-6490 | 1-800-879-4278